Thursday, July 16, 2009

Our Stupid World

Dumpster Divers...
county property values, diving dumpster, fear funny, recycle city, recycle reuse, recycling trash bin
Recently in a rare occurrence where I was watching the nightly news on KTLA, there was a story about people in my city who, in an attempt to combat dumpster divers, were given lockable trash bins. One lady that was interviewed said she felt violated, and another said she did not like it because it was her trash.

Now I understand that there is an inherent danger when dumpster diving where someone could get injured by reaching and getting cut on something. And, there is the whole adverse affect on property values for homes in the area to consider.

But if I was too lazy to take recyclables to a center and get the cash for it then anyone else who decides they want to take the risk of reaching into my trash bin and take those recyclables and getting money for it, then more power to them.

The only thing that I would be concerned about is making sure that people I do not know are not coming on to my property without my permission. Basically I would have a message posted on my trash bins that would state that anyone who wants anything in there is welcome to it. They just have to follow a couple simple rules.


* they can only search the bins on trash day, after I bring the bins to the curb, and before the garbage truck arrives.

* they may not come on to my property as it would be trespassing and I would reserve the right to rebuff them by any means permissible under the law.


Other than that I really see no problem with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment